The Mt Kinabalu International Climbathon 2013 Adventure
The Mount Kinabalu International Climbathon was held on the 19th to 20th October 2013. This year, there will be 2 courses – The Summit Race and The Adventure Race.
The Mt Kinabalu Climbathon started off as a event to test the fitness of Kinabalu Park rangers. Since 2004, this race has been a landmark skyrunning event featuring international skyrunners.
For the normal visitor, it takes 2 days to climb Mount Kinabalu. For a reasonable active adult, it takes 3 to 4 hours to get to the resthouse. The climb starts again at 2am and most will make the submit by sunrise, making it another 3 hour hike. Coming down the mountain takes another 4 to 5 hours.
So professional skyrunners and rangers take no more than 4 hours to accomplish a climb that most of us would need 10 hours for.
The Mt Kinabalu International Climbathon – The Summit Race
According to the official website at www.climbathon.my, “this race course is 33km long running on 15km of tarmac road and 18km of forest trails with the rock face at the summit.”
This category only accepts 110 elite men and 40 elite women and open to qualified runners with the following qualification:
- Runners that has completed in any of the past Climbathon within the time starting from year 2008.
- Completed in their countries official mountain race (with proof of results).
- Recommended (in writing) by their country’s national mountain race / athletic body or any other organisation that the Climbathon organiser recognises or approves of.
The Summit Race is held on 19th October 2013.
The Mt Kinabalu International Climbathon – The Adventure Race
The Adventure Race starts at the Kinabalu Park entrance, races up to Layang-Layang Hut halfway up Mt Kinabalu at 2760m. Then runners will descend to Mesilau and finish at Kundasang town. This race course is 23km long running on 15km of tarmac road and 8km of forest trails.
This race took place on 20th October 2013 and is open to all runners and categorized into:
- Men Open
- Women Open
- Veteran Men
- Veteran Women
The Mt Kinabalu International Climbathon Map
- Coalition Duchenne To Climb Mt Kinabalu
- Laban Rata Resthouse On Mount Kinabalu
- Mount Kinabalu Adventure Video
- Mount Kinabalu Via Ferrata
- Climbing Mt Kinabalu
Tags: Mount Kinabalu, mt kinabalu