Nexus Resort Karambunai is 30km outside of Kota Kinabalu city. It is built on a long stretch of beach and has its own lagoon and nature park. There are complimentary hourly shuttles to the lagoon park, being some 5mins away by shuttle. You can also rent a bicycle and cycle to the lagoon park, or explore the natural surroundings of the resort.
The lagoon park offers everything from water skiing, jet skiing and kayaking, to river cruises and sport fishing. Since I was there only for the weekend, we did not go to the lagoon park. We most likely would have if we stayed longer, just to experience some of the rides and see how they compare to, say Sunway Lagoon in Kuala Lumpur.
The Nature Park offers visitors to take a hike in a million year old rainforest. The jungle trek takes you up the hill in Karambunai overlooking the resort and surrounding scenery. Bear in mind you will be hiking in a hot climate, bring lots of water and use sunscreen. Is the rainforest a million year old? I don’t know, but I doubt it, even though it looks untouched.
Activities In The Hotel
The first activity of the day is to go for a buffet breakfast. They offer a wide selection of local and Western favorites, and we had a huge breakfast. The only problem is the egg station, you could be in for a long wait. They ran out of boiled eggs, and were very slow to replenish. When they did, you could never tell if they were going to be soft-boiled or almost raw. They also offered omelets with mushroom, and while it was cooked on the spot and looked delicious, we didn’t bother to wait. Not with 2 hungry kids. But overall, we enjoyed the breakfast. The restaurant is just next the pool area and you can see the seaside.
We took a stroll around the landscaped gardens while the morning was still cool. The activities for the day was already beginning. We saw one guy practicing martial arts kata and meditating in the garden. Another group was getting ready for batik painting in the garden, you get to keep the batik painting. After all, you paid for it! It is a fun way to keep the kids occupied, and when finished, the painting takes about an hour to dry.
Bicycle or Tandem Bicycles
Cycling is good fun, especially for those of us who have not done so in years. It is alright, you never forget how to cycle once you have learned how to. The resort has a large number of bicycles for rent, including bicycles for kids, and tandem bikes. I think the price was RM15 per hour, something like that. You can either ride the bikes around the garden and beach, or on the road and head off to the lagoon park.
Before you choose the bicycle, make sure you really check it over. I swear some of the bikes are bent, although they looked fine. The price is acceptable but the quality of bicycles are not. Cycling is a perfect activity in a resort, you are mobile and if you like photography, a bike is a good way to get around. Besides, you really need some activities to burn off all the food from the buffet.
Everybody will end up by the swimming pool sooner or later. It is just too tempting to pass up, and besides the best part of a vacation in Sabah is spent by the poolside. There is a children pool and an larger pool for adults. For the larger pool, there is a pool bar called Splashes, and there are bar stools built into the swimming pool. There are also two little slides, and a smaller jacuzzi pool.
You can get your beach towels here, all you need to do is register your room number and the number towels you are taking. Swim rings are also for rent here, RM7 per rental. Beats me why guests have to rent swim rings. Bicycles are also rented here, and the resort activity board is located at the back of the counter.
Daily Fun Activities at Nexus
- Morning Stretching, Evening Stretching, Gym,
- Squash, Tennis, Soccer, Beach Volleyball, Table Tennis,
- Lawn Tennis, Lawn Bowl, Sepak Teraw, Cycling,
- Mahjong Lessons, Carrom, Using Chopsticks Lessons,
- Sarong Wearing Demo, Cultural Dance demo, Murut Blowpipe demo,
- Learn to play Traditional Music instruments, Coconut Leave Weaving,
- Local Delicacies demo, Learn Malay, Napkin Folding,
- Aqua Aerobics, Aromatherapy introduction,
- Snorkeling Lessons, Scuba Diving, Sea Kayaking,
The Lagoon Park
While I did not take part in the activities at the Lagoon Park, I was tempted to. Here is a list of what is available:
- Sea Kayaking, single or double at RM20 and RM30 respectively per hour.
- Jet Ski, RM110 for 15mins or RM200 for 30mins.
- Speed boat joyride, RM100 per person for 15mins, min. of 2 person.
- Water-skiing, Wake boarding are RM140 for 30mins.
- Para-sailing, RM140 for 15mins, single and RM195 for double.
- Banana boat ride, RM40 for 10mins, min. 2 person. For 3 persons, it is RM35 each.
- Extreme rider tube, RM100 for 10mins, double.
There is a Lagoon Park package for RM110 per person (min of 2 person), consisting of Banana boat ride, sea kayaking, batik painting and a Mangrove cruise. It is looks like an interesting way to spend the day. There are also tours around the waters of Karambunai, Sabah.
- Mangrove Cruise, an hour long cruise at RM90 per person, min. of 2 persons, and children get a 50% discount.
- Sunset Firefly Cruise, a one hour to one and half hour long cruise at RM100 per person, and the same discount rate for children between 6 to 12 years old. I guess Klias Wetlands is not the only place that has fireflies.
- Crab Catching/Fun Fishing at RM100 per person.
- Private Boat Charter, from 9.30am to 3.00pm, for RM3,000.
Next Post: Hanging Out By The Beach At Nexus Resort, Karambunai.
Visit our zazzle store, a selected range of About Sabah merchandise are available worldwide.
- Nexus Resort Karambunai Sabah
- Hanging Out By The Beach
- An Exotic Honeymoon In Sabah
- Romance In Paradise
- Klias River Cruise
This entry was posted on Wednesday, May 5th, 2010 at 12:35 am and is filed under Featured, Hotel. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.